- On January 21, 2010
Unity Telecom was named one of Canada’s Fastest Growing Companies and “a company to watch” in 2008. Through 2009 we have continued to grow, and as a result plans were made to construct a new, larger facility including a wealth of state-of-the-art features. There were many considerations to take into account for our new headquarters: proximity to our current facility to minimize commute requirements for existing personnel, a more environmentally friendly facility, increased meeting space with demonstration facilities and room for continued growth. We worked with Maple Hill
developers to find a property to meet our growing demands. The result was the construction of a new building in Newmarket Ontario, not far from the current headquarters.
Designing a new facility gave us the opportunity to incorporate additional green initiatives into the building. Working with the architect, Maple Hill Contractors, as well as Unity’s enthusiastic staff, the company’s leadership team has incorporated many energy saving ideas from the Leeds program. The new facility will be the most advanced energy
efficient green building by Maple Hill to date. The building features:
- Roof construction has R-30 insulation with a single ply membrane (white) which reduces the heat absorption common in a typical tar and gravel roofing
- All exterior walls are well insulated, exceeding minimum requirements.
- Abundance of natural light coming into the building from the many windows in the office as well as windows in the warehouse.
- All window glass is low E solarban60 with argon gas filled units to provide higher insulation than typical windows.
- Operable windows were installed to take advantage of providing fresh air during certain months of the year
- Solar panels on the roof and in the landscaped area, to harness solar energy.
- The precast overhang at the roof not only provides aesthetics to the building but is also intended to provide some shade at the top window locations reducing the amount of sunlight-generated heat in the building.
- Lighting sensors and timers to control lighting usage (both inside and
outside of building).
- Treated Concrete floors and partial ceilings in the office were left exposed so as to eliminate the need to install other finishing materials (low emitting materials such as CPT, CT or ceiling tiles)
- Plumbing fixtures that were used are all water saving types.
- Recycled furniture was used to furnish the building
- The equipment used for HVAC is the new Lennox L series equipped with energy recovery ventilators (ERV). The L series come furnished with hiefficiency motors and R410A refrigerant, which is the industry accepted, environmentally friendly alternative and will only be the acceptable
refrigerant by 2012.
“As our business grows, we always look to be environmentally conscious, ensuring that we are contributing to a better future for everyone” said Dave Sherry, President of Unity Telecom. In addition to the construction initiatives, Unity Telecom has incorporated green friendly programs with employees such as preferred parking for more efficient vehicles and car pooling, bicycle commuting, and increased recycling within the facility.
Unity’s business is the design, installation and maintenance of high tech
communications solutions, which can result in the removal of electronic equipment from customer premises. As part of the green program, all these products are sent to a environmentally responsible facility which minimizes the quantity of materials going to landfill and provides proper disposal of hazardous materials associated with these electronic systems.
Many employees have been provided with the equipment to allow for them to work remotely a couple days per week, minimizing commuting and allowing for work flexibility.The systems also are part of our emergency response plans, in the event of an emergency that prevents employees from entering our facility, they are able to perform their responsibilities from a remote location, such as their home, or an alternate temporary facility, thus minimizes the disruption in service levels to our clients
The new facility is located at 450 Harry Walker Parkway South, Newmarket, Ontario,
About Unity Telecom
Unity Telecom is a full service Communications Company, providing consulting, design, implementation and support for best of breed IP based business communication solutions. We have sales and technical certifications on all the products we sell and support, including Avaya, AVST, Captaris, Cisco, Motorola and Panasonic. With offices across Canada, in the USA, and strong alliance partnerships with certified resellers, we are able to serve businesses of all sizes.
About Maple Hill Contractors Ltd.
Maple Hill Contractors Ltd. has had a strong presence in Newmarket for our 25 years.During this time Maple Hill have built a strong relationship with the town. Land developers, general contracting and design-build turnkey facilities have been our strength in building our clients the services they required in facilitating their new construction.
Our on-staff engineering and architectural consultants have allowed us to keep our focus on our client’s requirements.
Our hands-on approach allows us to provide the leadership qualities that our customer’s have come to expert from us.
The future in Newmarket looks bright, and Maple Hill Contractors will be a part of it.